Hi Janet,

I was also involved in the large systems transformation review Trish
references...one of the keys to that review process in terms of stakeholder
involvement was that we were lucky enough to have the top health bureaucrat
for that jurisdiction (a Deputy Minister) as our principle 'knowledge user'
(Canadian funder parlance). This meant that we had intensive involvement of
staff and a fair amount of confidence that the review would get utilized. I
think that the process of realist reviews can often be rewarding
experiences for stakeholders as they find time to critically reflect on
their own work processes and engage in dialogue with the researchers.
However, one has to be clear about how much engagement is feasible
depending on the level of support from senior management (where that is
relevant)....ideally, of course, you have a situation like we had, but
perhaps more often you have lower levels of support and engagement and this
can cause tensions, particularly when it comes to how useful the review is
in its capacity to help transform the systems that stakeholders are
embedded in. Nevertheless, I think experience is showing that more
determined processes for stakeholder engagement are proving essential
features of realist (and meta-narrative) reviews, and whatever the level of
engagement, some seems better than none!

ps. the character of the engagement process of our review is addressed in
more detail in the article Trish attached.

Cheers, Simon