Here is the posting from Gill.
I've cut and pasted it here to try to ensure we get all the postings on this topic area in the same 'thread'.

----------------------------
I’ll happily get us started!  Then others can add all the important bits I missed out or ‘yes but’ parts of it...

1.     A consultative mapping process to identify what different kinds of stakeholders in different parts of the system think the issues are (include patients and carers as stakeholder groups).  Questions to reflect realist framing (at least – for whom is this an issue, in what contexts)

2.     A prioritising process to narrow down to a set of ‘key issues’ which integrate the funders interests with what’s come out of the consultation

3.     A series of targeted realist syntheses about specific parts of the topic, linked to the key issues, with a nice big bucket of money left aside for rapid realist reviews)\ around emerging topics as they emerge

4.     A series of trials of interventions to improve care transitions for particular sub-sets (i.e. populations, types of delivery systems or whatever has come out of the reviews) – each of course with specific research questions to answer, and each of course with their questions framed in realist ways

5.     A synthesis process (informed by realist synthesis) to synthesise the findings from the trials

6.     A fund for continuing professional development for all the research teams involved, because they won’t all know about realist approaches and they’ll need help along the way (at far too grand a scale for this discussion list to be ‘it’)

Cheers

Gill