Dear Mickey,

In response, Ana and Ray's paper is on realist evaluation. It does contain
some important transferable lessons for realist synthesis, but the
processes are not all the same between these two methods.
For a realist synthesis, I would suggest focussing on developing and
refining programme theory.

You provided a few mock documents and they seem to me a sensible way of
capturing data from documents included in your review.
I would however have a careful look at what you have labelled as
mechanisms. Using or doing something is not necessarily a mechanism. You
may wish to revisit the sections that discuss mechanisms in 'Realist
synthesis: RAMESES training materials'.

Finally, you last questions seem to me to relate to focussing your review.
I hope I am not stating the obvious, if I am forgive me, but a rule of
thumb to help you work out what you need to do for your project would be to
clarify what your research question(s) are and objective(s).
Section 3 in the aforementioned  'Realist synthesis: RAMESES training
materials' has some guidance on this.

Good luck

Geoff