Recently, in discussions with a couple from San Francisco, I pointed out
that while I like San Francisco, I was very disappointed with the Golden
Gate Bridge as an experience. I found its engineering to be aesthetically
dull, wrong, out of balance, lacking rhythm, the wrong colour etc. By way
of contrast, I pointed out how much I love the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

This contrast was brought back to mind by a piece by Nick Seaver on
medium.com: ³On reverse engineering: Looking for the cultural work of
engineers² (see excerpts below). I agree with his efforts to redeem
engineering.

Cheers

Keith

Excerpts

³. . . engineering is about universalizable things like effectiveness,
rationality, and algorithms, while culture is about subjective and
particular things, like taste, creativity, and artistic expression.
Technology and culture, we suppose, make an uneasy mix. When Felix Salmon,
in his response to Madrigalıs feature, complains about ³the
systematization of the ineffable,² he is drawing on this common sense:
engineers who try to wrangle with culture inevitably botch it up.²
. . . .

³We may talk about technology and culture as though they were independent
domains, but in practice, they never stay where they belong. Technologyıs
straightforwardness and cultureıs contingency bleed into each other.²

On Reverse Engineering
Looking for the cultural work of engineers
Nick Seaver
Nick Seaver in Anthropology and Algorithms

https://medium.com/anthropology-and-algorithms/d9f5bae87812