My impression is that if you want students to work around your interests, you should try to get grants or other funding that allow you to offer PhD students funding for working on a project—your project.

Personally, I see a PhD as a voyage of (personal) discovery and consider it unethical to try to tie students to me and my interests. It’s my job to support them learning about theirs (it also refreshes me a lot).

Just in case someone jumps in, I am not denying need to learn the craft of researching. But in my view what a PhD really shows is the ability to fight through a largish project and to bring it to a conclusion, regardless of difficulties. This then qualifies the holder to be given a grant to undertake another largish project.

Best Wishes,

Ranulph