Dear all,

Jerry Seinfeld, in a recent interview, claims that chairs and forks are funny, but salt shakers are not (see extract below). He wouldn't seem to have heard or read Don Norman talk about salt and pepper shakers. Maybe there is a special designer's Don Norman episode of Seinfeld waiting to be written? I can certainly imagine a scene in which the nothing being debated is the nothing of mixing up the salt and pepper shakers. Could be an interesting tutorial activity?

Cheers

Keith

Extract from:
Jerry Seinfeld on how to be funny without sex and swearing
Oliver Burkeman
The Guardian, Monday 6 January 2014

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/jan/05/jerry-seinfeld-funny-sex-swearing-sitcom-comedy

"Kids need new material": that was an idea with legs. With a bit of work, there could be a few minutes of an act there. Some things just have potential while others don't; he doesn't claim to be able to explain why. Chairs are inherently amusing. Salt-shakers, Seinfeld reckons, are not. Reflecting upon the comic possibilities of various other everyday objects, a thoughtful expression passes across his face. "I find the fork very funny," he says.