Hi Delia

Yes the industry sector will make a difference. In the chemical industry I expect you will have safety critical roles which is likely to influence a substance abuse policy, you are likely to have health surveillance under COSHH (skin, lungs, biological testing such as urine), maybe HAVS and audiometry as well. If you haven’t already done so then you will need to start with a risk assessment on what your workers are exposed to, this will determine your policy.

http://www.hse.gov.uk/health-surveillance/index.htm is useful to start with also see http://www.hse.gov.uk/health-surveillance/resources.htm for more specific industry information.

Substance abuse policies will depend on which approach your company wants to take, I have attached some information for background reading which should help guide thoughts.

Absence policies are usually driven by HR so I have attached a useful document to read from the CIPD on what to include in a policy.

Lots of background reading and understanding employee risks before policy development so I hope you find the attached useful.

Regards

Karen