Hi Ellie,
We used an ethnographic approach in our research to explore the management of acute illness in both maternity and medicine - this included how staff interpret and respond to signs of clinical deterioration and the intended and unintended consequences of safety tools .

We have published the following from the maternity data;

Mackintosh,N. Watson,K. Rance,S. Sandall,J. (2013) online first, The value of a Modified Early Obstetric Warning System (MEOWS) in managing maternal complications in the peripartum period: an ethnographic study, BMJ Quality and Safety, 18/7/13

My PhD focused on 'rescue work' within medical settings but may still be of interest to you: Mackintosh, N. (2012). Enacting patient safety on the frontline: an ethnographic study of rescue work with acutely ill patients. King's College London: PhD thesis.

All the best,
Nici

Dr Nicola Mackintosh
Research Fellow
Women's Health Academic Centre, King's College, London
North Wing, St. Thomas' Hospital, London SE1 7EH
Tel: 0207 188 7188 extension 89853
Mobile: 0771 401 4441
Fax: 020 7620 1227
https://kclpure.kcl.ac.uk/portal/nicola.mackintosh.html