Hi Ellie,

I did a postnatal ward ethnography (two units in the UK)  for my PhD with Mavis Kirkham as supervisor.  Key publications:

·         Dykes F (2006) Breastfeeding in Hospital: Midwives, Mothers and the Production Line. London: Routledge.

·         Dykes F (2005) A critical ethnographic study of encounters between midwives and breastfeeding women on postnatal wards in England Midwifery 21, 241-252.

·         Dykes F (2005) ‘Supply’ and ‘Demand’: Breastfeeding as Labour.  Social Science & Medicine  60,  2283-2293

More recently, Renee Flacking did her post doc with me which was a cross-cultural ethnographic study in NICUs in Sweden and England:

Flacking R, Dykes F (2013) ‘Being in a womb’ or ‘playing musical chairs’: the impact of place and space on infant feeding in NICUs.  BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 13:179 http://www.biomedcentral.com/content/pdf/1471-2393-13-179.pdf (IF 2.83)

Also, I supervised Magda Sachs on her PhD:

Magda Sachs M (2005) ‘Following the Line’: An ethnographic study of the influence of routine baby weighing on breastfeeding women in England.  UCLAN.

Another PhD student is Anna Byrom but I think she has introduced herself already.

BW, Fiona

Dr Fiona Dykes PhD, MA, RM, ADM, FHEA

Professor of Maternal and Infant Health,

Maternal and Infant Nutrition and Nurture Unit (MAINN),

School of Health,

University of Central Lancashire, Preston,

Lancashire, PR1 2HE

Email: [log in to unmask]

http://www.uclan.ac.uk/staff_profiles/fiona_dykes.php

Tel: +44(0)1772 893828