I suspect the whole phenomenon could be divided into separate, but to some extent overlapping, categories; indeed I'm not sure that 'cenotaphs' is a very useful word for many of these, though it's a reasonable shorthand for an e-discussion!

And, for example, our retrospective tombs at Wells, though they are I believe likely originally to have been displayed behind the high altar rather like a reredos, really are tombs -- they contained the bones believed to be those of the bishops. Whereas I do wonder about those of Athelstan and Osric. Osric's tomb at least was/is on top of that king's traditional burial place, yet there is something rather self-conscious about the creation of such a visible tomb so very long after his burial. I don't know what was there before the current tomb.

The reliquaries analogy is a significant one for the whole subject: in thinking about the varieties of these monuments, it's worth bearing in mind, as Jim pointed out, the significance of tombs, relics of tombs, and in particular empty tombs, to medieval Christian culture.

Jon

Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 10:16:26 +0000
From: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [M-R] cenotaphs
To: [log in to unmask]

I think the retrospective monument and the soon-after-death cenotaph are probably 2 different phenomena (though both equally fascinating!)
I wonder whether we can get any idea of intention - are there ever inscriptions which make it clear that the body is elsewhere? (you do of course get this on post-medieval monuments.) I don't think that retrospective monuments ever had any intention to deceive - but there's a slippery area between retrospective monuments and reliquaries which again confuses the picture.

Maddy

Dr Madeleine Gray PhD, FRHistS
Reader in Church History/ Darllenydd mewn Hanes yr Eglwys
School of Humanities and Social Sciences /Ysgol Ddyniaethau a Gwyddoniaethau Cymdeithasol
University of South Wales/Prifysgol De Cymru
Caerleon Campus/Campws Caerllion,
Newport/Casnewydd  NP18 3QT Tel: +44 (0)1633.432675
http://www.southwales.ac.uk
http://twitter.com/penrhyspilgrim
http://twitter.com/HeritageUSW
http://twitter.com/USWHistory

'We all cherrypick the past but you have to be aware that you're cherrypicking' (Ruth Goodman)