Ooh, more photographs! Thank you, Genevra.

To my not-entirely-tutored eye, your mystery piece of sculpture could be
either the lid of a sarcophagus, or the top edge of any of the three
elements of an entablature - architrave, frieze or cornice.

I hope I have that right - I sometimes feel that I've got no farther than
e.e. cummings in Venice -
(o to be a metope
now that triglyph's here)

Jane