Colleagues: Allow me to recommend my two books: Giants in Those Days:
Folklore, Ancient History, and Nationalism (U Nebraska P 1989) and Demon
Lovers: Witchcraft, Sex, and the Crisis of Belief (U Chicago P, 2002). The
first is a history of the concept of the giant from Genesis 6:4 through the
Middle Ages to Rabelais. The second follows the concept of the embodied
demon and the way it evolved into the fifteenth- to seventeenth-century
accusation that women were having sex with incubi. Both are illustrated
rather well. There's also Stuart Clark, Thinking with Demons (Oxford,
1997), which is extremely thorough on demons in general, and the
Encyclopedia of Witchcraft, ed. Richard Golden, 4 vols., ABC-CLIO, 2006,
 which is also online through many university libraries, and has
state-of-the art articles on all aspects of demonology. I have a long
article on "Demons: An Overview," in the New Encyclopedia of Religion, 2nd
ed., ed. Lindsay Jones, 15 vols., Macmillan Reference, 2005, 4:2275-82,
which takes things back to Mesopotamia.
Best wishes,

Walter Stephens
Charles S. Singleton Professor of Italian Studies
Director of Graduate Studies in Italian
Department of German and Romance Languages and Literatures
Johns Hopkins University
Baltimore, MD 21218
http://johnshopkins.academia.edu/WalterStephens
tel. 01 410 516 7229; 01 410 516 7227 (main office)
OFFICE HOURS 2014S: Tu, W 10:00-12:00, or by appt.