On 12/02/2014 10:35, Nick Poole wrote:
> For people with big budgets and in-house IT capability, a combination of legacy systems, API and middleware is clearly a popular way to go. For people who don't have this capability, configuring and running and API may be a bit too much like hard work.
The key thing is your hard-won data, and the key trick is to avoid
locking it into a delivery platform (/any/ delivery platform).

This can be an option for smaller institutions too: at least one
widely-used SPECTRUM-compliant system is getting the option of a Linked
Data front-end, which effectively acts as an API, publishing your
collections data in a useful variety of machine-processible web-friendly
formats.  I spent yesterday morning with a web developer who was very
happy to contemplate the prospect of using this Linked Data as the
source, not just for object details, but also for descriptive/narrative
text, in a museum web site he has been commissioned to build.

Richard
--
*Richard Light*

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg