This is an interesting question. The first thing to come to mind is stop words, but in the Ovid interface the stop words have been discontinued and should you so wish you can  even search for “the”. However they are in use in HDAS. But there is an additional factor coming into play here ( which  I have just discovered) that within the Ovid interface “use” is a command for change database and takes you to the database menu. This of course won’t apply to Cinahl which is not an Ovid database.

Janet

From: UK medical/ health care library community / information workers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Lee, Paul
Sent: 05 February 2014 13:14
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: HDAS: can't search on "use"

Please can anybody explain why some of the databases in HDAS refuse to carry out a search on the word "use" in title/abstract?  So, for example, in EMBASE I can't use <drug* adj5 use> as a query in title and/or abstract.  CINAHL will, however, do this.

Thanks,

Paul

Paul Lee
Asst Librarian

Reay House Library
Lambeth Hospital | 108 Landor Road | London | SW9 9NT
Telephone: 020 3228 6141 Email: [log in to unmask]

Web: www.slam.nhs.uk/library

Visit our website www.slam.nhs.uk

Disclaimer
This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential. If you are not the intended recipient, any reading, printing, storage, disclosure, copying or any other action taken in respect of this e-mail is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by using the reply function and then permanently delete what you have received. Incoming and outgoing e-mail messages are routinely monitored for compliance with the Department of Health's policy on the use of electronic communications. For more information on the Department of Health's e-mail policy click here

The information contained in this e-mail may be subject to public disclosure
under the NHS Code of Openness or the Freedom of Information Act 2000. Unless
the information is legally exempt from disclosure, the confidentiality of
this e-mail and your reply cannot be guaranteed.
If you are not the intended recipient please accept my apologies.
Please inform me that this message has gone astray before deleting it.
presence of computer viruses.

For further information on West Hertfordshire Hospitals NHS Trust visit our
website: http://www.westhertshospitals.nhs.uk