Apologies for cross-posting

ESRC SEMINAR SERIES:

Older Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans People
'Minding the Knowledge Gaps'

‘Counting the Costs? Resources, Austerity and Older LGBT People’

Tuesday 29th April 2013 University of Surrey, UK

To register: please visit: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/counting-the-costs-resources-austerity-and-older-lgbt-people-tickets-10638824009

This event is the fourth in a series of six seminars, part of the 'Minding the Knowledge Gaps' project, funded by the Economic and Social Research Coucil to explore gaps in our knowledge of older (fifty years of age and over) Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Trans (LGBT) people. The aim is to bring together academics with older LGBT people, advocacy groups, activists, policy-makers, service providers and third-sector organisations.

This seminar aims to address gaps in our knowledge about the material and financial resource implications of LGBT ageing, particularly in times of austerity. Speakers for this seminar are:

Dr S.C Noah Uhrig, Institute for Social & Economic Research, University of Essex:

Poverty and Material Well-being of LGBT elders

and

Dr Martin Mitchell, NatCen Social Research

Not just 'a nice thing to do': marginalisation and hardship for LGBT older people in the context of austerity cuts

The day starts with the invited speakers in the morning. Small group workshops in the afternoon will provide plenty of opportunities for discussions.

Places are limited so early registration is advised. Attendance is free and lunch will be provided (please note any dietary requirements when registering). Participants are expected to cover their own travel and accommodation costs.

We have a limited number of travel bursaries available to those in need of financial support to cover travel costs. Retired older LGBT community members and PhD students will be given priority, but applications are also welcome from those on low incomes and/or volunteering on relevant projects.

For more information about travel bursaries and/or any other queries, please contact Dr Andrew King ([log in to unmask]).

--
孫耀東博士
香港中文大學社會學系助理教授

Yiu-tung Suen, DPhil