Hello All
I am part of a Faculty where I am one of the key people responsible for developing Good Academic Practice amongst our students. I had a student sent to me yesterday by a lecturer to check her referencing of what the student was calling an e-book. This is the link to the item
http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ZcR-AgAAQBAJ&pg=PA210&lpg=PA210&dq=China's+first+accounting+system+in+1985&source=bl&ots=fPeMQ85NA8&sig=BJ-61sKxmgP1sb2N6dA8xCFUXI4&hl=en&sa=X&ei=r68LU5yYKqOJ7AaA-YGYAw&ved=0CD4Q6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=China's%20first%20accounting%20system%20in%201985&f=false

I have lots of questions and queries about this

1.       It is not an e-book

2.       It is incomplete (and presumably some of what is missing adds context etc. and was removed for 'sales' rather than 'academic' purposes) - therefore how valid a source is it?

3.       If she says she has looked at the book, which she was tempted to do, then that must surely be plagiarism as it is intentionally/knowingly deceitful, so should it be referenced as a website? It will be flagged up by Turnitin as a web source

4.       More and more of this kind of thing is out there and being accessed by students - should we develop a 'use of...' and referencing protocols, or do they already exist and I really am behind the times?

Google states that "At the bottom of each book information page, a section entitled Bibliographical information displays details about the book that can be used to cite it as a reference." (https://support.google.com/books/answer/191154?hl=en-GB) and in that section  offers the information below as the referencing information for this source, but states things like "400 pages" which the web address above clearly does not have, so the referencing info is for the original book (4 above)

I would be grateful for any information and/or views that any of you may have regarding this and other, increasingly anomalous, sources!

Many thanks for your views
Annie

Annie Britton|Skills Development Co-ordinator|BLISS - Business and Law Information and Skills
Hugh Aston 0.73

De Montfort University, Leicester LE1 9BH
T: +44 (0)116 250 6107
W: dmu.ac.uk
Please remember that I do NOT work on Fridays

Bibliographic information

Title

Globalization, Competition and Growth in China
Routledge Studies on the Chinese Economy<http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=bibliogroup:%22Routledge+Studies+on+the+Chinese+Economy%22&source=gbs_metadata_r&cad=5>

Editors

Jian Chen<http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Jian+Chen%22&source=gbs_metadata_r&cad=5>, Shujie Yao<http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbo=p&tbm=bks&q=inauthor:%22Shujie+Yao%22&source=gbs_metadata_r&cad=5>

Publisher

Routledge, 2006

ISBN

1134264011, 9781134264018