Re: mystery labels Hello Alan

We have just spent a couple of months working on our ammonite collection. Since the ones in the photo are from Whitby they are of special interest for us.

Hand-written labels crop up frequently in our historic collection; we believe most are written by Martin Simpson, who was curator here for many decades in the nineteenth century.

I will be in Whitby Museum next week (we are volunteer curators) and will see if your handwriting specimen matches any of ours.

A quick look at our website type specimens shows that Ammonites gagateus is probably now Gagaticeras gagateum, and that doesn't look like a match for the specimen it is next to:
http://www.whitbymuseum.org.uk/type/grp02/sim104.htm

The Ammonites subcarinatum is probably now Phylloceras subcarinatum, but I'd have to confirm that. I don't have an illustration to hand.

Let me know if you have any further information, and please keep them well-wrapped.

Yours

Roger Osborne
Hon Curator of Geology
Whitby Museum