Hi,

I am afraid that I get some clusters that not only border on WM but also clusters that are located solely inside WM and solely outside of the brain.

Ah - then that is a problem.

Looking at the registration summaries PNG-files, I find that the lower part of the "example_func2highres.png" shows a lot of red lines outside of the brain and the lines inside the brain do not line up with the GM/WM borders very well. Am I correct in deducing that it is the func >> high-res registration that has gone wrong and is causing problems?

It does sound like this is the problem.

I have tried using different transformation types, both BBR and 6 DOF, normal and full search, with no difference found. Skipping the func >> high-res stage did not help either.

Do you have fieldmaps?  Have you tried using them?

Do you have any ideas on what I can do to get the registration working better?

It is hard to be specific without seeing any images (putting some examples on a photo hosting website and posting the link would be helpful).  However, I would check the brain extractions and also see if fieldmaps can help, if you have them.

If these don't help then email again with a link to some example pictures.

All the best,
Mark

Regards from Sweden,
Philip

2014-01-24 Mark Jenkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Philip,

How far outside the brain and into the white matter do the clusters extend?

If it is just a small amount then you can ignore it, as the registrations will not be perfect and so there is often a small amount of inaccuracy like this.

If it is a large amount then that would point to there being a bigger problem with the registrations, and I would look carefully at how the anatomical images are aligned (not just at the overlays of the activations).  It could either be the functional to structural or the structural to standard registrations that need attention, so make sure you check both.  The functional to standard registration is simply made up of the other two and is not independent, so just check the other two.

All the best,
        Mark