Hi, I tested it in two computers:

1. FSL 5.0.4 and MAC OS X Version 10.8.5
2. FSL 5.0 and MAC OS X Version 10.6.8

They both gave the same result.

When I do the fslstats that you said, they match correctly, but when I visualize the images in fslview then they don't. So then it's a problem of fslview? I'm attaching three files (screenshots of fslview). The first one (c12) is subject c12, the 3D file. The second one (4D_vol11) is the 4D merged file showing the 11th volume (that corresponds to the 12th subject), as you can see they don't match. Then the third file (4D_vol1)  is the volume 1 (second volume) that corresponds to subject 2, and it is exactly the same as volume 11. Which maybe means that fslview can't handle more than 10 volumes and then it starts repeating them? Because in fslview the volume 12 corresponds to volume 2, but not to subject 13th.

The 4D file is in this link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/13250895/result4D.nii.gz

Hello Monica,
                        I've fully tested a data-set of identical size to yours and everything works OK. Can you let me know which version of FSL you are using and what platform you are running on?

Kind Regards
Matthew

Hello Monica,
                        As a test, can you take the "large" merged file ( created from the original 26 images ) and run

 fslstats -t <name of merged file> -V -R -m

this should provide some summary stats for each 3D volume in the 4D volume. You can then run the same command on each of the inputs and let me know if the fslstats output values match up, e.g. the final line of values in the first fslstats call should match the values for d13.

Kind Regards
Matthew

Well, I can see all the individual files in fslview with no problem, and read their header and seems fine. I don't know but I tried all the options and it didn't work, so I decided to make smaller volumes where the masks off all subjects would be included. So the original files where 364x436x364 vox (0.5x0.5x0.5 mm) and now new small files are 38x30x31 vox (0.5x0.5x0.5 mm). And it merges perfectly the small masks. Maybe is something related on how fslmerges handles the memory? Because when the files are big it can't concatenate more than 10, when they are small it concatenates the 26. How many subjects did you use? I had 13 starting by c and 13 starting by d. What was the size of your files?

Thank you,

Hi Monica,
                   I've tested fslmerge with identically named files locally, and it works OK. Is it possible one of your input files has been corrupted?

Kind Regards
Matthew

yes, all the images have the same dimensions and are in standard space. And it always happen with more than 10 files. until 10 files it does it correctly, no matter which files i choose.

Do all the images have the same dimensions? If not, that will cause problems. What kind of error message do you get (if you get one)?