From: Francesco Puccettone <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Wednesday, 19 February 2014, 23:09
Subject: Re: [FSL] Some questions on fMRI analyses

Thank you Donald, that makes sense
francesco

On 18 February 2014 20:31, MCLAREN, Donald <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
On the surface you are right, you could infer the A (the stimulus) causes B (evoked signal) as the temporal requirement is there as you present the stimulus.

However, there are many steps that must happen between A and B, which is perhaps why people don't want to say A causes B.

Furthermore, most researchers don't want to infer that A causes B, but that A cause neural activity in the region where you observe B. This is more problematic because you are inferring something that hasn't been observed and is complicated by the many intermediate steps.

Also, people have been trying to say that if B1 occurs for B2, that neural activity in B1 occurs first even though we don't have the temporal resolution to determine that is true.

Best Regards, Donald McLaren
D.G. McLaren, Ph.D.
Harvard Medical School
Website: http://www.martinos.org/~mclaren