Dear colleagues,

We propose a panel on ³Argumentation and Power in the Policy Process² for
the ECPR General Conference (Glasgow, 3-5 September). The deadline is
February 15th. Contact us quickly if you are interested.

Best regards

Argumentation and Power in the Policy Process

Patrick Hassenteufel (University of Versailles) :
Philippe Zittoun (University of Lyon) : [log in to unmask]

Over the last twenty years, argumentation has become increasingly important
in policy analysis. It does not only exist in studies which make reference
to the argumentative turn but also in different fields that focus on policy
processes such as the sociology of elites. However, the question of its role
in the policy process and its relationship to power issues remains
problematic. Indeed, argumentation is paradoxically viewed as both a
strategic practice to legitimize proposals brought forward by an elite but
also as the means used to promote democratic practices and the symmetry of
participants. In the first case, argumentation is the weapon used by a
dominating and powerful group in an asymmetric situation and in the second,
power seems to be part of argumentation. In this panel, we would like to
come back to this opposition between the power of arguments and arguments of
power and overcome it. How can the complex relationship between argument and
power be considered differently? How can a shift in view help us to better
understand the role of argument in the policy process? What kind of analysis
can enable us to explain policy discourses that succeed?

This panel also seeks to grasp the methodological issues linked to combining
discourse analysis and the sociology of policy elites. Our last question
examines how discursive shifts linked to interactions between policy actors
can be analyzed in order to provide insights into the understanding of
policy changes.