Dear Janice,
The South African government is explicitly committed to the social model as expressed in the Integrated National disability Strategy and ensuing legislation and policy (see for example Education White Paper 6 on inclusive education). Of course this does not mean that everything is implemented in this way as it is clearly a process that does not happen overnight.
Best wishes,
Judy McKenzie

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 10:10 PM, Pamela June Waugh <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Janice,
I think the munber of governments 'following' a social model of disability is too small to comprise a list. The only governments embracing such a model are the UK and NZ governmnets. I suspect the reason for this state of affiars is due, in part, to the utility of a bio-medical definition of disability. It is not only useful for governments, it legitimates the plethora of human services in Western societies, where manufacturing has declined over many years.

May I ask why you are asking? And could I ask your reason for reviewing the DDA?

Pamela

----- Original Message ----- From: "Janice Ollerton" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]AC.UK>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2014 11:56 AM
Subject: Governments that have embraced a Social Model paradigm

Hello colleagues,
Is anyone compiling a list of which governments have made the move from the traditional medical model to a social model of disability, as they try to implement change? I know it is happening in dribs and drabs across the world, at National, state and local government levels, although not consistently. New Zealand embraced the social model 13 years ago...what other countries have followed suit?

Janice,

Enquiries about list administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk

Enquiries about list administration should be sent to disability-research-request@jiscmail.ac.uk