From: A forum for critical and radical geographers [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of KRZYWOSZYNSKA A.
Sent: 11 February 2014 20:48
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: academic writing and creative states

Dear critters,

For the past few days I've been enjoying the luxury (or drudgery) of writing days at home alone (partner at a conference, no need to be at the office), and while I was strolling back from a quick visit to the shops I caught myself appreciating this freedom, and wondering if it will be taken away from me once I become a 'proper' member of academic staff (research contracts at the moment).

Later, I serendipitously came across this interesting article on academic writing and creativity: Essen and Winterstorm Varlander (2013), The mutual constitution of sensuous and discursive understanding in scientific practice: An autoethnographic lens on academic writing, Management Learning 44:395-423 .

Reading it was quite a discovery, particularly learning that 'playing with the text', doing sports, changing posture, and eating at odd times are common strategies to enhance creativity - all familiar tricks. The article also made me think, however, of whether the bureaucratisation and managerialism I see growing in the academic sector in the UK (and elsewhere?) is making achieving creative states harder, and if so, what can we do about valorising this as a key element of academic practice?

Musings most welcome...

Anna K
Durham University
https://durham.academia.edu/AnnaKrzywoszynska

-
‘In the top 5 in the Green League Table; committed to sustainability’
This email is confidential to the intended recipient. If you have received it in error please notify the sender and delete it from your computer.
The University of Gloucestershire is a company limited by guarantee registered in England and Wales.  Registered number: 06023243.  Registered office: The Park, Cheltenham, GL50 2RH
-