We are happy to announce the launch of the Live Coding Research
Network (LCRN), hosting a series of events over the next two years,
funded by the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC).

Live Coding involves writing and modifying code while it is active,
turning computer programming into a performing art. The TOPLAP
movement (http://toplap.org) has explored live coding in music and
video animation since 2003, and during this time live coding has
expanded into cross disciplinary field. The LCRN steering committee
alone includes researchers from such diverse fields of Education,
Digital Aesthetics, Computer Science, Live Art, Music Informatics,
Human-Computer Interaction, Choreography, Cognitive Neuropsychology,
Participatory IT and Computer Games. The reason for this diversity is
that live coding not only offers creative approaches to design, but
also insights into how Human thought might to some extent be
externalised and made public, a promise that is of interest to
critical theorists, psychologists, pedagogues and practitioners alike.

Details of upcoming events are up on our website:

 http://livecodenetwork.org/

The first event will be a kick-off day designed to introduce the
technology, philosophy and practice of live coding as a
cross-disciplinary field of research, and will be on the 21st March in
London. Please see the website for details.