Dear Charlotte,

the photo 19b looks very much like a olive fruitstone (imprints from vascular elements on the surface), so try to check olive fruitstones. Carbonized olive stones from archaeological context can be be really small and rounded, especially when they are not medieval or modern. But, ofcourse, determination from a photo is always complicated. So check please reference material.

Kind regards

Julian

Gesendet: Freitag, 31. Januar 2014 um 13:30 Uhr
Von: "O'BRIEN C.E." <[log in to unmask]>
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Unidentified fruitstone

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions. Dissection definitely seems the way to go. Crataegus was looking very promising from the external point of view, but the internal cavity shape and internal cell structure don’t seem right – also my British Crataegus monogyna fruitstones (far right of photo) are a good bit smaller than my ‘unknown’.

I would be very keen to see your Ziziphus reference material Don – thanks for the offer.

Having dissected the specimen, the cell structure of the wall and internal cavity is very reminiscent of olive (far left of photo) – can you get olive fruitstones in this less elongated shape?

Thanks again,

Charlotte

Charlotte O'Brien BA PhD
Environmental Laboratories Manager
Archaeological Services
Durham University
South Road

Durham
DH1 3LE

direct line 0191 334 1113
tel 0191 334 1121
fax 0191 334 1126
[log in to unmask]" target="_parent">charlotte.o'[log in to unmask]
[log in to unmask]" target="_parent">[log in to unmask]
www.dur.ac.uk/archaeological.services