Lancaster University - Deparment of Mathematics and Statistics
Reference: A905 Chair in Probability

Advert and application details: http://hr-jobs.lancs.ac.uk/Vacancy.aspx?ref=A905

Salary: Professorial (minimum £60,266)
Closing Date:   Sunday 23 March 2014

This is a new post commencing on 1 September 2014, or as soon as possible thereafter. Reflecting the Department’s desire to grow research in probability theory, it is one of two new positions; we are also seeking a Lecturer in Probability. This is part of an on-going expansion of the Department, which has seen a significant rise in the numbers of undergraduates, postgraduates and staff in the last five years. In the past two years alone the Department has made 10 new academic appointments; we are currently seeking a total of 8 further positions.

The Department currently comprises 38 academic staff, 12 research associates and over 50 research students. The Pure Mathematics section has a well-established Analysis group with a strong international reputation; it has recently developed an Algebra and Geometry group of similar strength. At Lancaster we have one of the largest and strongest statistics research groups in the UK, with research spanning Statistical Modelling and Statistical Methods for Medicine and the Social Sciences.

Research in probability theory at Lancaster spans both the Pure Mathematics and Statistics sections. Current areas of research include stochastic processes, geometric probability, stochastic analysis, quantum probability, random matrices, stochastic epidemic models and theoretical MCMC. Related research interests include mathematical physics, statistical mechanics, free probability, quantum information, genetics, financial mathematics and energy. There is also an Operations Research group in the Management School working in applied probability. In collaboration with the OR group, the Department hosts STOR-i, an EPSRC-funded Centre for Doctoral Training.

We are seeking to appoint a Chair with a strong research output in any area of probability, who will provide a lead in developing a probability research group. We particularly welcome applicants with research interests in stochastic processes and geometric probability. We are looking for a proven record of attracting research funding and supervision of research students. The Chair will be expected to undertake senior academic management roles, and to contribute to all aspects of undergraduate teaching.

Informal enquiries can be made to: Dr David Towers (Head of Department) [log in to unmask]

General information about the Department can be found at:  http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk

We welcome applications from people in all diversity groups.

SIGNOFF allstat