Danielou rightly makes the point about the awe with which Hindus regard hermaphrodites, and the use of cross-dressing is often used in imitation of this, as in Kathakali theatre. The only transgender surgery available historically was that of the eunoch, all part of the Virgo axis of the Piscean Age that gave us monks and nuns in large numbers. Whereas we wish all shades of the rainbow of sexual orientation well, there can be no gay or surgically modified sexual polarity maithuna in Tantrika, because it rests on the psycho physical polarities of opposite sexes, especially in Northern tradition which has inherited much from Taoism into Chinacara.

----Original Message----
From: [log in to unmask]
Date: 20/02/2014 09:07
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Subj: Re: [ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC] transgender and paganism

On 19/02/2014 12:05, Mgr. Kamila VELKOBORSKA Ph.D. wrote:

Perhaps Randy Conner "Blossoms of Bone" and "Encyclopedia of Queer Myth" -

Wendy Doniger OFlaherty for Hindu background perhaps:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Women-Androgynes-Other-Mythical-Beasts/dp/0226618501

Prof Anne Macy Roth for Egyptology -
eg:

Reading the Body: Representations and Remains in the Archaeological Record

should also consider something on hermes / hermeticism - and androgynous nature of many egyptian deities which influences the
Hermetic idea of all-god as being male and female

Alaine Danielou "Shiva and Dionysos"

?

Dear Ethan,

thanks for your prompt reply. I am interested in both pre-Christian beliefs and in contemporary Paganism that is inspired by  the previous.

Nice blog :-)

Thanks a lot,

Kamila