Maddie et al

Cheers for that - so long ago since i read that must have mixed it up
with something i read at the time -
was checking in the Bod but their edition doesn't have an index so could
n't find any reference to sex-change/transexual etc in there or indeed
kate millet's sexual politics - which was other thing i was reading at
the time at school .

I'm quite disappointed about the other stuff germain greer has written
although realise she is something of a provocature -
and guess it is still an issue for some feminists when someone not born
female assumes a leadership role that would once have been
reserved for women. I guess the recent controversy with susanna moore in
uk was connected with that.

As to special terms / neologisms - i find them a bit problematic in use -
apart from the more obvious examples - i would still use "he or she"
rather than hir etc - which doesn't work for me.
Some of the nitpicking over terminology can sometimes inhibit genuine
debate of issues that are tricky -
and may stop people expressing any reservations they may still have -
same with rascism, immigration etc perhaps its better to let people talk
rather than branding them x as soon as they open their mouth?

So in paganism i suspect some pagans still find it problematic - having
reclaiming the role of the priestess to then have it
occupied by someone who was not born a women etc.

People's understanding of the issue has obviously evolved - how
transexuals may also have been on a difficult struggle to find
themselves and be at peace - i think our understanding of how tough it
must be,
to be trapped in the wrong body .

India and other ancient cultures do indeed have examples of intermediate
sex but this is often still a repressive tolerance - India,
as we know has serious problems vis a vis sexual politics - a sex change
maybe give some sort of tolerance but normal gay life is still
criminalised in some states - and this seems to be getting worse -

senebty

Mogg Morgan