Dear Laura and All,

My understanding of "fossil" versus "subfossil" derives from the geologic
perspective, fossils being animal remains where permineralization  or
another form of mineral replacement has taken place and subfossils being
those where this process hasn't occurred or is incomplete. Time is
obviously one of the factors involved in this process such that Holocene
age remains are frequently subfossil.

Laura, it's not clear from your email whether the suspected fossils are
appearing as discrete deposits or whether they occur in the same
depositional context as zooarchaeological material. In the the first case,
you may find the following reference helpful:

Rosendahl, D., Ulm, S. and Weisler M.I. 2007. Using foraminifera to
distinguish between natural and cultural shell deposits in coastal eastern
Australia. *Journal of Archaeological Science* 34(10):1584-1593.

Best,
Christina

Christina M. Giovas, PhD
Research Archaeologist
Hamilton, ON Canada
Book Review Editor, *Journal of Island and Coastal Archaeology*
Editor, *The Current* Newsletter