Dear Zooarchers,

I would like to announce the launch of a survey, "Demographics in Zooarchaeology", aimed at learning more about who makes up the zooarchaeological community. This endeavor was inspired by Diane Gifford-Gonzalez's 1991 "Zooarchaeological Practitioner Survey" and publication of those results in 1993 and 1994; many of the questions on the current survey are derived directly from her original version to allow for comparison of the results and the identification (or not!) of long-term trends. How has the community changed in the past 20 years, and what does it look like now relative to archaeology as a whole?

More information and the survey itself can be accessed here:

http://bit.ly/1gjd2ne

All data collected is completely anonymous. I would ask that you respond to the survey only once and forward it onto colleagues who work with animal bones and might consider themselves zooarchaeologists but are not on this list.

The survey is in English but can be translated into other languages by right-clicking and choosing a language using Google translate.

If you have any questions or comments please do not hesitate to contact me-or for anonymous feedback, please fill out the final comment space at the end of the survey.

The survey will be open until the end of March and I hope to report on the results at the 2014 ICAZ meeting.

Thanks everyone!

Best wishes,

Suzanne

References are as follows:

Gifford-Gonzalez, D. 1993. Report on the Zooarchaeology Practitioner Survey. Zooarchaeology Research News 12: 3-15.

Gifford-Gonzalez, D. Women in Zooarchaeology, in Equity Issues for Women in Archaeology. M.C. Nelson, S.M Nelson, and A. Wylie (ed.) Archaeological Papers of the American Anthropological Association 5: 155-171.

--
Dr. Suzanne E. Pilaar Birch

Postdoctoral Fellow
Joukowsky Institute for Archaeology & the Ancient World
Brown University
60 George Street, Providence, RI, 02912 USA

Website: brown.academia.edu/SuzannePilaarBirch
Twitter: @suzie_birch