garth, garden and yard all seem to be closely related Northern European words - indeed in USA/Canada a yard today may well be either a garden or 'backyard' or even winter pasture (grander use of the term 'backyard' than my small plot!).  Apparently garth in Albanian means hedge - which might also give a clue to the usage.  My particular coneygarden contains a shed with bunnies in hutches amongst other things ;)
Sheila
SH-D ArchaeoZoology
http://www.shd-archzoo.co.uk
On 20/01/2014 17:34, fiona beglane wrote:
[log in to unmask]" type="cite">
Could be a corruption of coneygar - where gar is 'garth' or 'garden' - seems more likely than a bare yard.

Or even a transcription error rather than a corruption ie with g being read as y - have you seen the original document or just a transcription of it?
Hope this helps

Fiona

From: Christian Küchelmann <[log in to unmask]>
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Monday, January 20, 2014 5:20 PM
Subject: Re: [ZOOARCH] medieval rabbits

Dear Kevin,

coney yard may be a translation of the Latin term
"leporaria" (German: Kaninchengarten, Dutch: conijnfaranda),
structures for the keeping of rabbits maintained by monasteries in
the beginning.
Check Benecke (1994a, 356-361; 199b, 183-184), Ervynck (1992, 153)
and van Damme & Ervynck (1988) for further details.

Best

Christian