Dear all,

Long time listener, first time caller etc.

I was wondering if you could point me to some literature dealing with parents’ influence on one’s speech. As far as I know, the dominant belief holds that we speak as our peers do, with parents having little or no influence. But are there any studies specifically looking into this? I am especially interested in cases where a child grows up in one speech community, while one or both of the parents acquired their speech patterns in a completely different community.

I’d be very grateful for any help.

Best,
Andrej Bjelakovi

The Variationist List - discussion of everything related to variationist sociolinguistics.

To send messages to the VAR-L list (subscribers only), write to:

To unsubscribe from the VAR-L list, click the following link:
https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=VAR-L&A=1