Dear Glad Mihai

The gray box indicates that you have specified that the two groups have unequal variance. These variances is estimated by SPM and if they are indeed different you will see different gray-levels, because the designmatrix have now been whitened. You can also inspect the covariance matrix directly, check the SPM manual for instructions on how to do this.

Best
Torben

Torben Ellegaard Lund
Associate Professor, PhD
Center of Functionally Integrative Neuroscience (CFIN)
Aarhus University
Aarhus University Hospital
Building 10G, 5th floor, room 31
Noerrebrogade 44