On Fri, Jan 31, 2014 at 2:36 AM, David Pedrosa <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> I have a question regarding the analyses of PET data with SPM. We have 25
> subjects in three groups and they were measured during 3 distinct
> conditions. Besides, these conditions consisted of up to three repetitions.

Once you average the three repeats, you can use the resulting average
images as the inputs into the statistical model.

> Now we would like to test for significant differences in the activation
> between the three groups but also for differences within the groups with
> SPM.

 Since you have a repeated measures ANOVA, you can only look at
group*condition interactions, you can't look at if the groups are different
for each condition. For that you would need a one-way ANOVA for each
condition. You can look for condition differences within each group.

> So we have a 3x3 repeated measures ANOVA. As I am not very experienced
> with GLM in SPM I have been searching this forum. Yet, i have some
> remaining questions. First, what are the advantages of using GLMFlex? There
> have been several threads about this but I didn't really understood the
> point about it.

GLM Flex would give you the group effects by condition.

> And second, using a flexible factorial design (if possible), is there any
> tutorial or explanation for the contrasts to be used?

If you search S1G1C1 on the list, you will find an example of how to build
contrasts. This will work for any design.

> Applying the one of gläscher et al. was helpful. For this we defined three
> factors (subject, group, condition).

The main effect of group, group comparisons, and individual conditions
tested against 0 are invalid statistical contrasts. The old document hasn't
been updated to reflect this issue.

> However,we are not sure how to define contrasts to detect interactions. We
> are looking for a help to understand what we have to do to answer our
> hypotheses and would be grateful for any kind of help like links to e.g.
> comprehensive tutorials or something.

See the examples in the list by searching for S1G1C1.