Dear Donald and Helmut,

thanks again for your advices.

Now that I’ve tried it:

Flexible factorial does make a difference in repeated measures.

I’ve read your previous mails in the last couple of years and it seems that I am not the first who tried to analyze mixed models this way…

Still I have a maybe naïve question:

I am still interested in the effect of group (original design 2 groups, 2 factors (2 and 3 levels, respectively = 6 conditions per subject).

I am afraid that just averaging the images over the 6 conditions and entering them in an ANOVA for a group comparison will dramatically reduce the power.

Is it “allowed” to redesign the flexible factorial analysis for the sake of the group analysis and just enter the factors “subject” and “group” but none of the within-subject factors or interactions?

This would preserve the 6 observations per subject.

Possibly that’s a bit too creative but can I get around the error term problem this way?

Thanks in advance

Juraj