Hi Torben,

On 09.01.2014 15:35, Torben Lund wrote:

> Den Uge:2 09/01/2014 kl. 14.55 skrev Paul Glad Mihai
> <[log in to unmask] <mailto:[log in to unmask]>>:
>
>> Hi Torben,
>>
>> thanks for your quick reply. So the two data sets do indeed have unequal
>> variances, which is good, because they don't violate the assumption of
>> sphericity. However, I don't understand why both contrasts:
>>
>> [1 0] for young subjects
>> [0 1] for old subjects
>>
>> result in identical contrasts with identical thresholds,
>
> The threshold depend on the df and the smoothnes of the residual image,
> these numbers are the same for the two contrasts
>
>> while looking
>> at them from an one sampled t-test perspectives gives different results.
>>

> The one sample t-test would have a different df and smoothness, you
> could try a [1 1] contrast in the two sample t-test this should give you
> something similar the 1- sample t-test (use a [0.5 0.5] contrast if you
> want the contrast image to be similar

I used all images from both age groups in a one sampled t-test and the
result is almost identical to the one from the two sampled t-test with
contrast [1 1]. Even looking at the global maximum the coordinates and T
values are the same. Thanks for the heads up!

So basically the activations between the two groups are so similar, that
the difference is negligible. This is a somewhat unexpected outcome,
alas good news for older people :D.

Regards,
Glad