Dear Louise,

it's hard to say what is valid and/or sufficient with regard to the
specification of a model space because it depends on the persuasiveness
of your reasons to define a specific space...

However, if you specify only models with endogenous connections and
direct inputs of C1 only it is definitely not ok to claim that the
obtained dynamics reflect those only during C1. Endogenous connections
always reflect the average "dynamics" among the ROIs independent from
any condition(s).

If you are interested in the dynamics that are specific to C1, you are
(by definition) interested in a modulatory input of C1, i.e. which
connections are affected by condition C1.

In your case I would suggest to setup new first-level SPM.mat files
(without the need to really estimate these models). These new models
also have two regressors where the first includes all (!) dynamic scenes
and the second only those from condition C1. This approach is analogous
to the attention-to-motion task by Friston and Büchel (see SPM manual).

When you use these SPM.mats in the DCM model specification you can
define direct inputs of all dynamic scenes (e.g. an early visual
region). Then you specify the connections that you assume to be
modulated by C1. By switching some of these connections on and off you
define successively your model space and you will see which model(s)
among those tested actually best describe your data.

The new specification of the inputs in new SPM.mats has the advantage
that you "simultaneously" (or better: implicitly) test the modulatory
input of C1 against all dynamic scenes. If you simultaneously switch the
modulatory inputs of all dynamic scenes according to those specified for
C1, the modulatory inputs of C1 will reflect the additional rate of
change attributable to C1 compared to all other scences. In other words,
if the parameter is positive you can conclude that the respective
connection is enhanced during C1 compared to all other scenes (or
suppressed during C2) whereas it is suppressed when the parameter is
negative (or the connection is enhanced during C2).

Hope this helps although it might sound a bit complicated...
Thilo

--
Thilo Kellermann
RWTH Aachen University