On Wed, Jan 22, 2014 at 4:05 AM, Gabriel Go.Es. <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> Dear SPM experts,
>

> Sorry for such basic questions. I'm new to the longitudinal design and
> analysis, and I have some doubts I would like to clear.
>
> I have two groups of 12 subjects each and a follow-up MRI of two years for
> each subject.
> Factor 1 (group) : 2 levels (Gp1 and Gp2)
> Factor 2 (longitudinal) : 2 levels (year1 and year2)
>
> A) As I undesrtood I have to set a full-factorial 2x2 anova (Group x
> Follow-up MRI as above), but I've seen in some faqs that I actually have to
> set up a third factor "subjects" which is the number of subjects in my
> study, but as I have never set a full factorial design, I'm not sure on how
> to set this third factor.

You need to use the flexible factorial design and add subject as a factor.
It can't be done in the full factorial design.

> B) How and which would be the constrasts for the desing in A? I mean, to
> test the effect of the groups and/or the differences in year1 and year2.

You can not test for the effect of group in a repeated-measures design
using contrasts in the GLM. You can only test the difference in year1 and
year2 or the interaction between group and year.

> C) Is it possible to introduce nuisance variables i.e. age in year1 and
> age in year two?

Not in a repeated-measures framework using the GLM.

> D) how do I correlate any of the tested effects with a variable of
> interest?

I would subtract year1 from year2, this will create a difference image and
eliminate the repeated measurements. Then you can use a two-sample t-test
with a covariate.