See below.

On Sun, Jan 19, 2014 at 5:49 AM, Reut Moran <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Dear experts
>
> I have some questions with regard to covariate treatment in the
> statistical model and multiple regressions:
> I would like to find out if the covariate "age" has an influence in my
> experiment. How do I use a two-sample t-test with age as a covariate?
> Can I do it without using a full factorial design? In which I define 2
> factors: group and age.

Yes. You use two-sample t-test with a covariate.

> Another question is about multiple regressions; we used a design matrix of
> multiple regressions in order to find out whether protein levels influence
> the brain activity. We used 3 contrasts:
> Group: 1 0
> Positive: 0 1
> Negative: 0 -1
> Is that the right way to do it?

You need a constant term in the model. It may be easier to use a two-sample
t-test, in which the 3 columns would be: group1, group2, protein levels.

Group: 1 -1 0
Positive: 0 0 1
Negative: 0 0 1

I'd read the following site on how to interpret the group effects and
whether you should mean center the results: *mumford*.fmripower.org/*mean*_
*centering*/

> Also, we can use some help in interpretation of the results: Would it be
> correct to say that regions that are negatively correlated with the protein
> level, means that these areas have decreased activity the more protein
> exist? And visa verse for areas positively correlated with the protein
> level?

Yes. But it could also be interpreted as: (1) negative -- more activity
with less protein; and (2) positive -- more activity with more protein. I'd
avoid the word decrease and increase because you haven't said what your
comparison is.

> Finally, the results show that there is laterality in activation, meaning
> that there is a positive correlation between the left hemisphere and
> protein level, and negative correlation to the right hemisphere. Looks
> weird. Can these be due to a mistake in our method?

Perhaps or it could be different in each hemisphere.