Dear all,

I would also like to draw your attention to the theory reconstruction approach of the “non-statement view” of Sneed, Balzer, Moulines and others. In several papers I (and, of course, others, too) have shown that building object-oriented and agent-based simulation models are in line with this very formal approach to the analysis and reconstruction of theories (see e.g.  http://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007%2F978-3-642-31140-6_6).

Best wishes

Klaus

Von: News and discussion about computer simulation in the social sciences [mailto:[log in to unmask]] Im Auftrag von Sallach, David L.
Gesendet: Samstag, 4. Januar 2014 20:09
An: [log in to unmask]
Betreff: Re: [SIMSOC] ABM To Test Theory ...

Dear colleagues,

As many of you are aware, in addition to MSA, MDE, Monte Carlo and other familiar methods, there is  a cluster of techniques based on emerging mathematical theories .  A short list of the latter would include topos & higher-order categories, various versions of type theory (e.g., constructive, inductive, dependent, polymorphic & homotopic) and categorial grammars.  The power and expressiveness of these techniques have the potential to significantly extend the analytical horizons of the computational social sciences and are, thus, relevant to the present discussion.

Regards,

David

David L. Sallach, Senior Fellow

Computation Institute