Hi there,
My name is Caoimhin ( Kev in english ) and I am an early career researcher in Trinity College Dublin.

This is my first time posting on this list, but have been watching developments with RAMESES for some time now.

My research objective (currently a PhD project) is to use the research process to influence Dental Health policy and services for people with disabilities and vulnerable groups in Ireland. The overall research question ( the review I mention later is a single strand ) asks:

Is it possible to establish accessible, effective and efficient quality oral healthcare for people with disabilities in Ireland?

I have been at this for two years with little concrete effect -  but have increasingly seen the opportunity to effect change through the use of a Realist Review process - I think - and this is why I seek clarification from those who set the standards:

1. Policy makers may want answers to specific questions (e.g. specific service models) rather than theories to be applied. Do you feel RR methods will lead to this - or is Meta-narrative approach better?

2. Policy makers who I hope to influence are under time constraints and therefore, if answers are not forthcoming quickly ( through research process), the decisions may be made without consideration of what the literature can tell us about "what works for whom and in what context". This would not be ideal. This time pressure lead me to read up on Rapid Realist Reviews. Are these acceptable methods in your views?

I welcome any feedback and if any of you are at the workshop in Liverpool in March, I look forward to seeing you there.

Kind regards,

Kev