Dear Danielle,

Just to clarify, as you asking about the 'first ever' mention / article on
realist synthesis/review?
As far as I am aware the first ever 'mention' of realist synthesis is:

Evidence-based Policy: The Promise of `Realist Synthesis'
http://evi.sagepub.com/content/8/3/340.abstract

Others, do plese feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Or if you were asking a different question.

Geoff