For me, I am all in favour of good data, and I don't mind being part of it myself.  I am fairly relaxed about anonymisation. I can't see why anyone would be interested in me as an individual, except as a marketing 'target'.

But I realise other people will feel differently, and may even feel that I am being naive. Some social policies must allow opt-out, and this may be one. If opt-out is allowed, it should be easy and transparent. It seems like this one is not. That, for me, is the main item of concern, although the wider debate is indeed interesting.

I feel that Radical Statistics should stand up for good data and widespread social obligations, but should oppose data commodification. Therein lies the key tension, n'est-ce pas?

JOHN BIBBY