Dear Martin,

I was being provocative but serious at the same time. Romanticism is a huge collection of philosophical approaches to art and experience and self-hood etc. I'm sure we could both make a collection of readings to support many differing views of emotional responses and artists. My own readings would come from Hegel and German Romanticism and thence through Coleridge but also via Blake. You could extend these usefully into Dewey (art as experience). My view would be that claims of simple or direct emotional responses to landscape emerging in unmediated ways in art objects is rubbish.

As a coda, I would indicate that a phenomenological account of such artistic activities helps us avoid a simple self.

Cheers

Keith