Dear Ken, David and others,

In my recent study I made a shot into history of design thinking, including such people as Archimedes and da Vinci. As my focus was on the exploration of design thinking in the re-framed point of view of 'conceptual designing,' the historical view is very shallow. But, certainly, we are dealing with a phenomenon that reaches quite far into our history.

You may download a free open-access copy of my book at our bookstore:
http://designresearch.aalto.fi/groups/edg/blog/salu-yliriskus-doctoral-thesis-on-conceptual-designing-freely-available/

Kind regards,

Dr. Salu Ylirisku
Embodied Design Group Leader
Aalto University, School of Arts, Design and Architecture