Hi Ken,

You wrote ' The question is how we model the properties of something we wish
to represent and understand'

This works for simple things that are 'close in time and space and have
obvious causes'.

For a lot of design (and other areas of life) it is more that we model to
represent and *predict behaviour, outputs and outcomes*.

For most non-trivial problems, I suggest 'understanding' is typically
irrelevant (this is in contrast to usual assumptions). The explanation  is
firstly because interesting non-trivial situations are typically beyond our
physical ability to 'understand'  in our minds (either singly or
collaborating in groups).  Instead, the modelling and representation of
properties, and manipulations of them enable *prediction* - which is much
more useful.

In one sense, understanding  is the imperfect backup method when we can't
predict by other means - in the same way that intuition offers an imperfect
fallback method for when we don't know what to do and have nothing better.

Secondly, for the majority of  situations for which we model the properties
we simply  don't need to understand. This is in the same way that to do
arithmetic and sort out financial accounts  or calculate your change for
your glass of wine at the bar doesn't require understanding number theory
(or even understanding arithmetic). It just requires a theory method for
predicting the correct financial outcomes.

In many ways, it appears understanding has been unthinkingly over-reified in
terms of creating design outcomes.

Best wishes,
Terry

--
Dr Terence Love
PhD (UWA), B.A. (Hons) Engin, PGCE. FDRS, AMIMechE, MISI