On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 1:08 PM, Kai Reinhardt <[log in to unmask]>wrote:

> "In German, the plural of Gestalter is Gestalterin, but we, after all, are
> starting fresh."
>
> "Gestalter". "Gestalterin" is the femininum.

Ah, this is the good, friendly part of this list: in this case, correcting
my incredibly deficient german.
As to the meaning of "Gestalt," although the Gestalt psychologists took
over the term, my German friends tried to explain that meaning of Gestalt,
which was far richer than simply "form" or "whole."

In an off-list message, Stefan Holmid said:

On Wed, Jan 29, 2014 at 12:15 PM, Stefan Holmlid <[log in to unmask]>
 wrote:

> For example, in Swedish we use "gestaltning" as the
> creative/interpretative/materialized aesthetic and expressive act of
> "designing"; much like in German. And it is unfortunate that there is no
> good translation in English.

(deleting the stuff before as not directly relevant -- and I would want his
permission to reproduce it.)

Don