I wonder

1) How much the UK CLA license allows for?
2) How much publishers mind? We found them fairly flexible re book chapters (but the department I work in buys each student the course books as part of the fees)
3) Re point 2 - wonder if unis buying course books and bundling into fees would make much more sense economically?

On Thu, Jan 23, 2014 at 7:46 PM, Chris.Pegler <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Thanks David for the more up-to-date info. There was also a cost per copy at one time in addition to the license fee, which could be very high if making study packs. So a fixed cost plus a variable one. (This is getting too detailed for Dom but it mounts up for sure).

Chris

Chris Pegler
Senior Lecturer, Institute of Educational Technology

Best to contact me by email, but telephone number is 01908 654015 (IET office)

From: David Kernohan [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 23 January 2014 09:54
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: use of text books in higher education across the world

Looks like £4 per full time student: http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/news/photocopy-licence-to-cost-4-per-student/168885.article

Back in 2002 at least.

-

David Kernohan

Jisc

From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Chris.Pegler
Sent: 22 January 2014 21:09
To: [log in to unmask]

It is indeed an interesting question. One thing to bear in mind (sorry not a solution but another element in the complex mix here in the UK) is the costs of the Copyright Licensing Agency licensing agreement. This is the arangement that allows copies of copyright texts to be made on behalf of students (under specific conditions which are akin to what students individually are permitted as fair dealing). So its not only the cost of the photocopier and the paper. There is also a license fee involved.

Its a while since I have been actively involved with the intricacies of the CLA license but at that time (late 1990s) there was a cost per institution and also a cost per copy. Writing on the eLIB list in 1996 (what a great thing JISCMAIL archives are) I had this to say (gosh, how old am I?)

This was not a trivial charge. To give an idea of the level, the cost charged per copy at the time amounted to a sufficiently large sum for me to make the argument that Warwick Business School (my employer) would save money by employing someone part-time to write to rights holders to request permisson to copy. I was able to show from a trial that this was often granted with no cost requested - hardly a surprise result to those in open education who realise that academics often want to share what they write rather than make money from it.

I am sure things will have moved on since those days, not least because of open license options which offer another set of options. I would love to know what the cost of a CLA license is nowadays. Anyone know?