Great to see the write-up, Marieke, and to see OKF, WMUK and CCUK working together like this.

On 20 January 2014 09:57, Lorna M Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Hi Marieke,

I've just been commenting on your blog post over on twitter.  This sounds like a fabulous initiative!  Kudos to everyone involved.  Please keep us posted and let us know if any future events are planed.

Cheers
Lorna

On 20 Jan 2014, at 09:36, David Kernohan wrote:

Thanks Marieke – that sounds absolutely marvellous!

David

-
David Kernohan
Jisc

From: Open Educational Resources [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Marieke Guy
Sent: 20 January 2014 09:11
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Speakerthon: Sharing voice samples

Dear All,

I wanted to flag a venture I was involved over the weekend.

Speakerthon brought together over 30 people to create voice samples from the Radio 4 archive and upload them to Wikipedia. The event was part of the BBC Voice Project initiative and organised in collaboration with Open Knowledge Foundation, Creative Commons UK and the Wikimedia community.

I've written more about the day at:
http://education.okfn.org/speakerthon-sharing-voice-samples/

The initiative is a fantastic example of crowdsourcing OERs. The adding of sound files for Wikimedia subjects has great implications for teaching and learning, especially when you consider that those files can be reused in any way people chose - the samples are all under a CC-BY-SA licence, unlike the original recordings. The Voice Project will be looking at uploading files from the BBC Archive for 1000 Wikimedia subjects and fingers crossed the project carries on beyond this initial sample. The next steps will be further collaboration - for example the British Library has a huge amount of animal sounds that could be uploaded.

Anyway hope you find the trip report interesting and feel inspired to contribute to the project!

Marieke

***

Marieke Guy
LinkedUp Project Community Coordinator | skype: mariekeguy | tel: 44 (0) 1285 885681 | @mariekeguy