Re: [OCC-HEALTH] FW: Nurses face three-year competency checks - Telegraph

I did mean the tea and sympathy approach which I think serves little purpose in OH. Sometimes the difficult impartial decisions or frank discussions, which can be perceived as uncaring, end up being the best solutions all round and address problems which have been avoided because they are difficult. I have had two difficult conversations this week with individuals who desperately want to continue in their jobs but I have to advise they are not fit. Hopefully that has been communicated in a way which is professional but also acknowledging that it is difficult for them and I understand that. I also agree that we cannot be the client/patient advocate in the sort of case Anne describes, I was once described by a union rep as firm but fair when dealing with that type of case – I have no issue with that.

Nice debate!

Karen

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of [log in to unmask]
Sent: 17 January 2014 11:35
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] FW: Nurses face three-year competency checks - Telegraph

To add to the debate – I think it depends on what is meant by “care” and “compassion”. I, like Karen, care about the working conditions and health status of employees. However, we are employed to be impartial advisers to both employee and employer and therefore we are the only group of nurses that are not always “client/patient advocate”. The advice we give to a manager may not actually be in the interest of the employee. To illustrate: a client employed in the NHS his 20’s who has taken a large amount of repeated short term absence (55 days on 35 occasions) with no underlying significant health problem and who had not seen his GP re his various aches and pains. Absences occurred predominantly either side of his scheduled days off. He was referred for an OH opinion. I had no hesitation responding to his manager that in my opinion it was a management rather than a health issue. The employee probably thought I was an “uncaring” nurse. However, I view it from the perspective of:

I would hope that the manager would then start performance manageing this employee more effectively.

A public health pro-active approach to OH provision underpins my approach but I am not signed up to a tea and sympathy based service which is what I think Karen means when she refers to  “pink and fluffy”. I want to see hazards controlled and staff working in an environment which is safe and promotes health.

Anne

Anne Harriss
Course Director
LONDON SOUTH BANK UNIVERSITY